Tuesday 17 February 2015

Book Review: The Life of Pi by Yann Martel


Hello all, I hope you've had a lovely day! I have had quite the week, doing 7 days in a row at work, hopefully this all pays off. So, to relax and unwind, I thought it would be the perfect time to blog about a book I am in love with. This time round, as you've probably guessed, I'll be talking about The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I've tried my hardest not to give anything away so apologies for any spoilers that may have snuck in!

The story centres around a young boy called Pi Patel who is the son of a Zoo owner. It begins with him exploring different religions and his life at school and the zoo. It begins a little slowly if I'm honest, but picks up when his father decides to move his zoo abroad. Then, everything changes as the ship carrying Pi, his family and the zoo animals, gets caught in a storm and sinks.

Pi survives the storm and ends up on a lifeboat alongside a hyena, an orang-utan, a zebra and a Bengal tiger. The plot thickens as you discover what happens to them throughout their time on the sea. I have to be honest, the idea a story that mainly centres around one ship for majority of the book didn't excite me. That being said I'd heard good things so persevered. Thankfully, I could not have been more wrong. Yann has a way of writing that makes the reader forget there is a world beside that ship. That one ship that becomes Pi's whole life and through Yann's writing, yours.

I wont go into too much detail about the story itself any further than I've already discussed but I will say that the ending is probably one of the best of any book I've ever read. There aren't many books that, a year later, still has your mind buzzing over it's conclusion. Sadly, I can't discuss with you why it's so good as in doing so will ruin the book for those of you who haven't read it.

Overall, from the plot to the writing style, everything about this book is engulfing. I can't help but become engrossed in Pi's life and his story. To wrap it up, I will completely give this book a thumbs up from me. Have you read this book? If so what do you think? Let me know in the comments below.
Laura.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...